Friday, January 22, 2010

This post is about a Friday night game of Cranium

Once again I am amazed at the depth of my pop cultural knowledge, especially in comparison to others. The scene: your typical Provo young female adult apartment. The activity: "Come one, come all!" game night. Rule #1. All game nights must be proceeded by the viewing of a Disney movie. Rule #2. Some homemade treat must be provided. The consequence: 12 LDS kids trying to play a game while under the influence of sugar and movies of the "happily ever after" persuasion. They might as well have been sippin' on gin and juice. This is the only logical explanation for people not knowing things that they should know as Americans that breathe.

The great thing about Cranium is they have this Star Performer category where success is based entirely on one's knowledge of music and movies. The terrible thing about Cranium is they have this Star Performer category where success is based entirely on one's knowledge of music and movies. These are the people that 10 out of 12 people had either never heard of, or had heard of, but knew nothing about: 1. James Brown. JAMES BROWN! THE GODFATHER OF SOUL! THE HARDEST WORKING MAN IN SHOW BUSINESS! I FEEL GOOD! JAMES BROWN! 2. Barbara Streisand. 3. Ed McMahon. 4. Milli Vanilli. These are the songs that people were unable to hum and/or recognize: 1. "What's Goin' On?"- Marvin Gaye. 2. "I Heard it Through the Grapevine"- Marvin Gaye. 3. "Yesterday"- The Beatles. Only three of the most popular songs ever. And the most memorable question of the night was...."What's Motown?" Sigh. The only person that everyone in the room guessed correctly was Mary Poppins.

What is this world coming to?!

2 comments:

  1. WOW. I think this party could have used a little more of ME and YOU. SERIOUSLY. Marvin GAYE people! THE BEATLES. I feel ashamed and I don't even know them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was your choice to move to provo...

    ReplyDelete